A promising application of IIoT is the maintenance of essential non-production equipment, such as industrial dust collectors. Due to labor gaps, secondary machinery is a challenge to monitor and maintain. Latent issues can escalate into equipment failure and downtime.
Donaldson Company, Inc. has developed an IIoT monitoring and maintenance solution to help address these challenges. After two years of system deployment by early adopters, findings confirm two major benefits:
- Reduced downtime and maintenance costs
IIoT is suited for equipment that does not require constant monitoring but needs to trigger an alert the moment it operates outside a set range. Sensors on dust collectors can track process data such as temperature, airflow, and pressure drop—or monitor broader indicators of condition. Earlier diagnostics and alerts have paid off. Two examples: In one plant, issue resolution was cut from 14 hours over months to just 2 hours; in another plant, filter life were extended from six weeks to one year.
- Time--saving service partnerships
IIoT outperforms traditional local data networks in enabling maintenance partnerships. Its architecture allows secure equipment monitoring data to be shared with key service partners. Maintenance teams and service partners can view common data dashboards, and collaborate to resolve issues and perform preventive maintenance.
In addition to reducing maintenance time and costs, other benefits have been confirmed:
- Maintenance teams freed up to focus on revenue-generating equipment.
- Multiple collectors across geographic locations monitored from one dashboard
- Data for regulatory compliance captured in real time, eliminating manual processes.
- Identify equipment that is essential to production but secondary in the maintenance attention it receives.
- Determine the indicators that, when monitored remotely, will produce meaningful alerts and insights on such equipment.
- Evaluate the potential ROI of remote monitoring on secondary equipment, in uptime and reduced total maintenance costs.
Global IIoT Business Development ManagerDonaldson Company, Inc.